Failte!

I'm excited to share my adventures with all of you! I want your first taste of my life in Ireland to be this poem that I wrote very late one night when I was a Junior in College. Its meaning seems eerily prophetic now. More than anything, I've created this blog to make the actualization of this life-long dream of mine visible to those I love: my friends who are my foundation, my endlessly supportive family, my mentors and co-workers who inspire me, and my former students who have given me enough satisfaction and fulfillment to last two lifetimes... Have the courage to believe that your wildest dreams can come true.

Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil, (It is better to try than to hope)

e
Mourn (A Seaside Peak in Southern Ireland)

The dark, earthen sod saturates her fair feet,
but briefly since she frolics fast in knee high
blades of greenest grass that blow dizzily in the Celtic-sea air.

Her wool skirt, stiffened by ware of evenings past
is splashed by cresting waves that break
against a beach blacker than her hair.
Those once stiffer fibers were loosed by nights upon nights
of hanging perfectly on his line before being wildly blown dry
by the crisp Hibernian salt air.

The pair sits to rest a while instead of dodging
breakers or skipping paler stones.

"Indian summer's here," he says softly,
but all of summer here feels like the edge

of autumn to her, even though she grins in agreement

as she dangles her pale, soft feet off Achilles' peak,
where Erin's vermillion-gold sky meets
an ocean that is grey with years.

She sleeps with her eyes closed tight most nights.
He asks her if she believes in Tier-Nan-Og,
and she asks him if he believes in anything eternal.
Outside the tide is rising, or it's receding—
She never can tell but for the strengthened smell of
salty freshness strained through his light, lace curtains.

She thinks to herself that he is like trying to hold the sea

and she imagines the water running between her fingers--
clenched so tight.

And so, the night calls her out of her sleeping,
like daytime chides her into dreaming.
She slips her white fingers through the holes of an old loose scarf
that affords her more company than warmth
on these newborn autumn evenings. She is off--
Night clouds reflect emerald from land to sea,
And the tara that she never eyes from long hours of
staring too far into star blanketed skies,
feels cool against the thickening pads of her pallid feet.

Elisabeth Lewis (2005)

06 December 2011

twelve looks of christmas.

Last thing to get on my wishlist!



OK, so being a poor college student [again] has done some amazing things for my personal STYLE...

First, i have absolutely ZERO disposable income, so I'm constantly daydreaming about things i would buy if i could. plus, EUROPE is much more fashion-FORWARD than even the most Metropolitan parts of the USA and Dublin is NO exception. The colors here have been vibrant this winter: MUSTARD is everywhere, as well as CERULEAN BLUE and [of course] EMERALD green. I'm all about making a statement with my clothing and accessories, and being a student again has FORCED me to be more CREATIVE with how i manage to do that. i like to think of it as.. "THRIFTY CHIC."

FURTHERMORE, i think the more you get to know yourself, the more YOU permeate through your fashion choices, and the better you look. So of course, my abundant alone time gives me AMPLE ELISABETH knowledge, which makes it easier to pick out what IS ME and RULE OUT what is not [like I did last weekend with the winter coats]. My friends can attest to the fact that i have often picked up something...whats the word? ECCENTRIC. They turn up their noses initially, and then BOOM--i put it on and it instantly becomes a another FACET of me, that is not only ACCEPTED, but dare i say...COVETED?

THUS, i have come up with my TWELVE looks of CHRISTMAS [or the HOLIDAY SEASON]. i did [or am in the process of doing] everything on the cheap, and in some cases just recycled things i already had laying around, but that made a brand new holiday pop when paired with something else. i hope you enjoy. i'm looking forward to taking TONS of pictures in NORTH CAROLINA over the next THREE weeks and even more photos in LONDON & ST. ALBANS, UK over NEW YEARS + EPIPHANY as well. Can't wait to post pictures from the my holidays :) try as many as you want for yourself....though i will admit leather leggings and false eyelashes are not for everyone :)

Sissy picked up one for me from H&M in Chicago
12th] RED nails and LIPS
11th] subtle GOLD eyeshadow
10th] PLEATHER skinny pants
9th] SPARKLE skirt
8th] NUDE gloves
7th] false EYELASHES- ala Adele
6th] Signature COLOUR [mine is EMERALD, duh. but my SISTER's are blush&bashful] do YOU.
5th] The WAVE. See how to do it here!
4th] Cable-knit SWEATER [preferably hand-sewn in Donegal] jk. but look how well the king does it!
3rd] SEQUINED accent of your choice
2nd] RIDING boots
FIRST] FUR VEST. faux, of course ;)


inspired by Carrie in the last SATC in Paris


                         
Love this color and up to the knee height
Perfect fabric. Perfect color. Tis the Season!








It took me a REALLY long time to fit these pictures together on my MAC format, I'm sorry if it's not coming through on your screen, I'm still getting the hang of the graphics (the writing is more my forte)







2 comments:

  1. First of all, don't be hatin on the mac. They are made for layout, so we know where the blame goes (LOL...sorry I get a little grumpy about apple products). Second, I too am super poor this Christmas, so here is my 12 days of fashion, for your amusement:

    12: Baby vom
    11: Peanut Butter Sandwich
    10: Gym clothes ALL DAY (at least I went)
    9: Layers to cover baby belly
    8: Baby kisses (thought they would all be bad, did you?)
    7: AnnaGrace hugs
    6: A tutu and wand
    5: A pot on my head
    4: Dinner ...everywhere (strangely unrelated to pot)
    3: The baby (yes I wear her too)
    2: Bags under the eyes
    1: A Christmas Wish for Lizzie Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah. Youre so right. Its me! i cant wait for those little girls! cheers to us both getting our christmas wishes!! see you in 2 weeks!! eeeee

    ReplyDelete